Honesty is the Best Policy...Mostly
Have you ever lied to impress somebody? Come on now, you know you have at least once. No matter how secure you are there has been a time in which you felt like an outsider and so, in order to make yourself fit in better, you claimed to know about something that in reality you were completely clueless about. Now maybe the topic was switched and you were saved from having to give more detail on the matter, or maybe you were not so lucky. The latter is where the people who use this practice a lot really shine; they come up with crafty ways of phrasing things that cleverly answer the question, but save from giving a whole lot of detail. The rest of us get a deer in the headlights look, and struggle to formulate a cohesive sentence. Enter congress woman Nancy Pelosi.
This past week Representative Nancy Pelosi was asked about March madness. Now, here she had a choice, she could honestly admit she did not know anything about the subject or she could get creative. Being a politician she chose the latter. It was clear that she did not know what she was talking about when she was asked which team she wanted to win, and she said that as a huge fan she wanted all of them to win. She then went on to talk about how she loves all the teams and wants all of them, particularly the players, to succeed. Now this is all good and well, and in the grand scheme of things it really does not matter, but for some reason it bothered me. Why would she feel the need to lie about something so trivial?
Maybe it is just the fact that we have come to expect such things from our politicians and she was sticking with the status quo, but it was college basketball. No one would have thought less of her for saying she honestly did not watch the sport. How can we expect her to tell us the truth about something important if she lies about something completely irrelevant to her job? Simply put, we cannot. Maybe I am reading too much into this, but I think the lies from politicians, on both sides, in order to impress people are getting a little old. There is no accountability no matter how serious the lie so they simply think that Americans actually buy what they are saying. For the most part we know they are lying but we deal with it because it is the expectation. We were all taught that honesty is the best policy but clearly our parents left out the part that says, unless you are trying to win a popularity contest in which case say what the people want to hear. Is that what we want from the people guiding the nation: a popularity contest? Personally, I think we should expect and demand more, but like I said maybe I am just reading too much into the situation. It is just a little white lie, right?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent Texas A&M News Articles
RECENT TEXAS A&M CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP TEXAS A&M NEWS
- College Students Are Unsatisfied With the Presidential Candidates
- 5 Things You Need to Know Before UConn's Game Against UCF
- 7 Tasty Miami Restaurants Under $10
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Register To Vote
- Tallahassee Museum's Annual Halloween Howl
- Dear Trump and Lahren: Words Are NOT Just Words
- Which Media Figures Stand to Benefit from the 2016 Election?
MOST POPULAR TEXAS A&M NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAbilene Christian UniversityAlamo Community College DistrictAlamo Community CollegesAmarillo CollegeAmberton UniversityAmerican College of Acupuncture & Oriental MedicineAngelo State UniversityAustin CollegeAustin Community CollegeAustin Community College DistrictBaylor College of MedicineBaylor UniversityBlinn CollegeBrazosport CollegeBrookhaven College Cedar Valley College Cisco CollegeClarendon College Coastal Bend College College of Biblical StudiesCollin CollegeCollin County Community College DistrictConcordia University TexasDallas Baptist UniversityDallas County Community College DistrictDallas Theological SeminaryEast Texas Baptist UniversityEastfield College El Centro College El Paso Community College DistrictGalveston College Grayson County CollegeHardin-Simmons UniversityHill College Houston Baptist UniversityHouston Community College SystemHouston Community College System- Central CollegeHouston Community College System-NortheastHouston Community College System-Northwest CollegeHoward College Howard Payne UniversityKilgore College Lamar Institute of Technology Lamar State College-Orange Lamar UniversityLaredo Community College Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-AustinLeTourneau UniversityLone Star College- Cy FairLone Star College- MontgomeryLone Star College- North HarrisLone Star College- TomballMcLennan Community CollegeMcMurry UniversityMidland CollegeMidwestern State UniversityMountain View College Navarro College North Central Texas College North Harris Montgomery Community CollegeNorth Lake College Northeast Texas Community CollegeNorthwest Vista College Oblate School of TheologyOdessa CollegeOur Lady of the Lake UniversityPalo Alto College Panola College Paris Junior College Parker College of ChiropracticPaul Quinn CollegePrairie View A & M UniversityRanger College Rice UniversityRichland College Sam Houston State UniversitySan Antonio College San Jacinto CollegeSan Jacinto College District South Texas CollegeSouth Texas College of LawSouthern Methodist UniversitySouthwestern Assemblies of God UniversitySouthwestern Baptist Theological SeminarySouthwestern UniversitySt Philip's College St. Edward's UniversitySt. Mary's UniversityStephen F Austin State UniversitySul Ross State UniversityTarleton State UniversityTarrant County CollegeTarrant County College- NortheastTemple College Texarkana College Texas A & M Health Science CenterTexas A & M International UniversityTexas A & M University at GalvestonTexas A & M University-Corpus ChristiTexas A & M University-KingsvilleTexas A & M University-TexarkanaTexas A&MTexas Christian UniversityTexas Lutheran UniversityTexas Southern UniversityTexas Southmost CollegeTexas State Technical College- HarlingenTexas State Technical College- MarshallTexas State Technical College- WacoTexas State Technical College-West TexasTexas State Technical Colleges Texas State University-San MarcosTexas Tech UniversityTexas Tech University Health Sciences CenterTexas Wesleyan UniversityTexas Woman's UniversityThe Art Institute of HoustonThe University of Texas at TylerThe University of Texas Health Science Center at HoustonThe University of Texas Health Science Center at San AntonioThe University of Texas Medical BranchThe University of Texas of the Permian BasinTrinity UniversityTyler Junior College University of DallasUniversity of HoustonUniversity of Houston (downtown)University of Houston-Clear LakeUniversity of Houston-VictoriaUniversity of Mary Hardin-BaylorUniversity of North TexasUniversity of North Texas Health Science CenterUniversity of St ThomasUniversity of Texas at ArlingtonUniversity of Texas at AustinUniversity of Texas at BrownsvilleUniversity of Texas at DallasUniversity of Texas at El PasoUniversity of Texas at San AntonioUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at DallasUniversity of Texas-Pan AmericanUniversity of the Incarnate WordVernon College Victoria College Wayland Baptist UniversityWest Texas A&M UniversityWharton County Junior College
- By State
- By City