Europe and the American Presidential Election
In the minds of Europeans there are two stereotypes of American voters which are unfortunately accurate. For one, many Americans lack any knowledge whatsoever of European politics. How many can name the president of France, the chancellor of Germany, or the prime minister of the United Kingdom? Who even knew that France, Germany, and the U.K. called their heads-of-state presidents, chancellors, and prime ministers? The second unfortunate impression of American elections is our undeniably low voter turnout. I’ve spent the past two months studying political science in Europe and doing so in a presidential election year has given me certain insights which I hope will give you some incentive to get out and vote today.
Europeans, and people all over the world, care much more about our elections than you may be aware of. Despite claims that the United States is losing its status as a global superpower, our government still has a large amount of political weight to throw around. The United States military is the largest in the world, our economy is one to be reckoned with, and numerous countries depend on us for support. Europeans recognize this, and also genuinely care about our domestic well-being, too. Newspaper covers here in Germany regularly show photos of Obama and Romney after debates and nearly everyone is talking about who will win.
I was discussing the election with a Frenchman one time and he told me that I was very lucky to get to vote for the American president. I told him I hadn’t thought of it that way before but I agreed. He went on to point out that millions of people depend on the decision about who will lead the United States, as an individual voter I had more power than most people across the world. I would like to remind everyone back in the states how lucky we are. Whether you consider yourself a Republican or a Democrat, want a third party candidate to win, or don’t really like any of them, the global community cares what you think. So get out and vote, because the world depends on it.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent Texas A&M News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
RECENT TEXAS A&M CLASSIFIEDS
TOP TEXAS A&M NEWS
- Put Down That Ramen: 3 Healthy, Affordable Recipes Under $10!
- Spring into spring with the right shoe
- NCAA Tournament From A Casual Sports Fan
- 7 Lessons You Can Learn From RA's About How To Deal With Student...
- Click With Compassion
- "Still Somewhat Sleeping" Sleeping Beauty (2010) Review
- Lion in the White House, A Life of Theodore Roosevelt, by Aida D....
MOST POPULAR TEXAS A&M NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeBaylor UniversityUniversity of HoustonUniversity of North TexasRice UniversitySouthern Methodist UniversityTexas State University-San MarcosTexas A&MUniversity of Texas at ArlingtonUniversity of Texas at AustinUniversity of Texas at San AntonioTexas Tech UniversityUniversity of Texas-Pan AmericanSam Houston State UniversityUniversity of Texas at El PasoUniversity of Houston (downtown)Lamar UniversityUniversity of Texas at BrownsvilleUniversity of St ThomasStephen F Austin State UniversityUniversity of Texas at DallasTexas Southern UniversityTexas Woman's UniversityCollin CollegeTrinity UniversityTexas Christian UniversityPaul Quinn CollegeSouthwestern UniversityNorth Harris Montgomery Community CollegeMcLennan Community CollegeAmarillo CollegeWest Texas A&M UniversityAbilene Christian UniversityAmberton UniversityAngelo State UniversityAustin CollegeBaylor College of MedicineBrazosport CollegeCollege of Biblical StudiesConcordia University TexasDallas Baptist UniversityDallas Theological SeminaryEast Texas Baptist UniversityHardin-Simmons UniversityHouston Baptist UniversityHoward Payne UniversityLeTourneau UniversityMcMurry UniversityMidland CollegeMidwestern State UniversityOur Lady of the Lake UniversityParker College of ChiropracticPrairie View A & M UniversitySt. Edward's UniversitySouth Texas CollegeSouth Texas College of LawSouthwestern Assemblies of God UniversitySouthwestern Baptist Theological SeminarySt. Mary's UniversitySul Ross State UniversityTarleton State UniversityTexas A & M International UniversityTexas A & M University at GalvestonTexas A & M Health Science CenterTexas A & M University-Corpus ChristiTexas A & M University-KingsvilleTexas A & M University-TexarkanaTexas Lutheran UniversityTexas Tech University Health Sciences CenterTexas Wesleyan UniversityThe Art Institute of HoustonThe University of Texas at TylerThe University of Texas Health Science Center at HoustonThe University of Texas Health Science Center at San AntonioThe University of Texas Medical BranchThe University of Texas of the Permian BasinUniversity of DallasUniversity of Houston-Clear LakeUniversity of Houston-VictoriaUniversity of Mary Hardin-BaylorUniversity of North Texas Health Science CenterUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at DallasUniversity of the Incarnate WordWayland Baptist UniversityAlamo Community CollegesBlinn CollegeOblate School of TheologyAmerican College of Acupuncture & Oriental MedicineOdessa CollegeGrayson County CollegeTarrant County CollegeSan Jacinto CollegeAustin Community College
- By State
- By City