Europe and the American Presidential Election
In the minds of Europeans there are two stereotypes of American voters which are unfortunately accurate. For one, many Americans lack any knowledge whatsoever of European politics. How many can name the president of France, the chancellor of Germany, or the prime minister of the United Kingdom? Who even knew that France, Germany, and the U.K. called their heads-of-state presidents, chancellors, and prime ministers? The second unfortunate impression of American elections is our undeniably low voter turnout. I’ve spent the past two months studying political science in Europe and doing so in a presidential election year has given me certain insights which I hope will give you some incentive to get out and vote today.
Europeans, and people all over the world, care much more about our elections than you may be aware of. Despite claims that the United States is losing its status as a global superpower, our government still has a large amount of political weight to throw around. The United States military is the largest in the world, our economy is one to be reckoned with, and numerous countries depend on us for support. Europeans recognize this, and also genuinely care about our domestic well-being, too. Newspaper covers here in Germany regularly show photos of Obama and Romney after debates and nearly everyone is talking about who will win.
I was discussing the election with a Frenchman one time and he told me that I was very lucky to get to vote for the American president. I told him I hadn’t thought of it that way before but I agreed. He went on to point out that millions of people depend on the decision about who will lead the United States, as an individual voter I had more power than most people across the world. I would like to remind everyone back in the states how lucky we are. Whether you consider yourself a Republican or a Democrat, want a third party candidate to win, or don’t really like any of them, the global community cares what you think. So get out and vote, because the world depends on it.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent Texas A&M News Articles
RECENT TEXAS A&M CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP TEXAS A&M NEWS
- FSU Inducted into Division of Blind Services Awards Program
- National Parks: A Celebration of Beauty Pt. 3
- College Clichés: Investigating the Truth Behind These Common Adages
- 5 Easy Ways to Spice Up Your Workout
- President Obama Wants America to Go to Mars by 2030, but Facts Say...
- Junior Year at Its Best
- Not So Early Top 25: College Basketball
MOST POPULAR TEXAS A&M NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAbilene Christian UniversityAlamo Community College DistrictAlamo Community CollegesAmarillo CollegeAmberton UniversityAmerican College of Acupuncture & Oriental MedicineAngelo State UniversityAustin CollegeAustin Community CollegeAustin Community College DistrictBaylor College of MedicineBaylor UniversityBlinn CollegeBrazosport CollegeBrookhaven College Cedar Valley College Cisco CollegeClarendon College Coastal Bend College College of Biblical StudiesCollin CollegeCollin County Community College DistrictConcordia University TexasDallas Baptist UniversityDallas County Community College DistrictDallas Theological SeminaryEast Texas Baptist UniversityEastfield College El Centro College El Paso Community College DistrictGalveston College Grayson County CollegeHardin-Simmons UniversityHill College Houston Baptist UniversityHouston Community College SystemHouston Community College System- Central CollegeHouston Community College System-NortheastHouston Community College System-Northwest CollegeHoward College Howard Payne UniversityKilgore College Lamar Institute of Technology Lamar State College-Orange Lamar UniversityLaredo Community College Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts-AustinLeTourneau UniversityLone Star College- Cy FairLone Star College- MontgomeryLone Star College- North HarrisLone Star College- TomballMcLennan Community CollegeMcMurry UniversityMidland CollegeMidwestern State UniversityMountain View College Navarro College North Central Texas College North Harris Montgomery Community CollegeNorth Lake College Northeast Texas Community CollegeNorthwest Vista College Oblate School of TheologyOdessa CollegeOur Lady of the Lake UniversityPalo Alto College Panola College Paris Junior College Parker College of ChiropracticPaul Quinn CollegePrairie View A & M UniversityRanger College Rice UniversityRichland College Sam Houston State UniversitySan Antonio College San Jacinto CollegeSan Jacinto College District South Texas CollegeSouth Texas College of LawSouthern Methodist UniversitySouthwestern Assemblies of God UniversitySouthwestern Baptist Theological SeminarySouthwestern UniversitySt Philip's College St. Edward's UniversitySt. Mary's UniversityStephen F Austin State UniversitySul Ross State UniversityTarleton State UniversityTarrant County CollegeTarrant County College- NortheastTemple College Texarkana College Texas A & M Health Science CenterTexas A & M International UniversityTexas A & M University at GalvestonTexas A & M University-Corpus ChristiTexas A & M University-KingsvilleTexas A & M University-TexarkanaTexas A&MTexas Christian UniversityTexas Lutheran UniversityTexas Southern UniversityTexas Southmost CollegeTexas State Technical College- HarlingenTexas State Technical College- MarshallTexas State Technical College- WacoTexas State Technical College-West TexasTexas State Technical Colleges Texas State University-San MarcosTexas Tech UniversityTexas Tech University Health Sciences CenterTexas Wesleyan UniversityTexas Woman's UniversityThe Art Institute of HoustonThe University of Texas at TylerThe University of Texas Health Science Center at HoustonThe University of Texas Health Science Center at San AntonioThe University of Texas Medical BranchThe University of Texas of the Permian BasinTrinity UniversityTyler Junior College University of DallasUniversity of HoustonUniversity of Houston (downtown)University of Houston-Clear LakeUniversity of Houston-VictoriaUniversity of Mary Hardin-BaylorUniversity of North TexasUniversity of North Texas Health Science CenterUniversity of St ThomasUniversity of Texas at ArlingtonUniversity of Texas at AustinUniversity of Texas at BrownsvilleUniversity of Texas at DallasUniversity of Texas at El PasoUniversity of Texas at San AntonioUniversity of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at DallasUniversity of Texas-Pan AmericanUniversity of the Incarnate WordVernon College Victoria College Wayland Baptist UniversityWest Texas A&M UniversityWharton County Junior College
- By State
- By City